Pregnancy is one of the most amazing times in our lives. It comes with big changes both physically and emotionally for all of us. These can include dry skin, hair changes, mood changes, fatigue, muscle aches, the list goes on. So often we find ourselves asking: "what can I use to feel better, that's safe for my baby also?" A lot of patients will find themselves wondering this about essential oils, as they have many health benefits and are readily available.
Essential oils are often used to help with may physical and emotional symptoms, but not all are safe for pregnancy. Here is a list, created by the one and only Dr Diva that she has allowed us to share with you. Be sure to double check with your OB provider about anything in the first 12 weeks of your pregnancy.
For muscle aches, pains:
- Black pepper (to be used diluted for topical purposes), Roman Chamomile, Copaiba oil, Grapefruit oil (great for muscle fatigue), Marjoram, Rose Otto,
- German chamomile, Rosewood
For nausea/GI distress/constipation:
- Cardamom, Coriander seed, Ginger, Orange oil, Copaiba oil
- Frankincense, Mandarin essential oil (for insomnia), Petitgrain, Rosewood, Lavender
For stretch marks/skin concerns:
- Neroli, Petitgrain (oily hair), Rosewood, Lemon, Orange, Tea Tree (dilute with a carrier oil)
Hopefully this list answers some questions. If you have any more for us, feel free to leave us a question in the comments!